Monday 15 May 2017

(Review) Tarte Magic Wands Unicorn Brushes

Tarte Magic Wands Brushes. Please pardon my little pony trying to disguise as unicorn :p
Unicorns are invading us humans. From unicorn hair trend, unicorn highlighter, and until recently, unicorn frappuccino from Starbucks (which I heard is disgusting and tastes nothing like coffee), these magical creatures just keep prancing around in our lives.

Makeup brushes also get major makeover to join the unicorn trend bandwagon. Honestly speaking, unicorn brushes are not that new in Beauty trend, but the existing ones that I know are coming from no-brand China companies, and there was no credible makeup company yet who actually released their own version of unicorn-themed brush.

That's why, when Tarte announced the release of the "Make Believe in Yourself" line, beauty junkies around the world squee. This limited edition collection consists of makeup brushes set, highlighters, eye & cheek palette, and repackaged version of their "Light, Camera, Lashes" Mascara & Tarteist Matte Lip Paints.

When I saw this collection, I immediately knew I want the makeup brushes! With colourful brush hair and unicorn horn-shaped gold handle, they're just too adorable 🦄 Tarte brushes are well known for its quality and beautiful design, but they don't come with affordable price tags. Surprisingly, this unicorn brush set is actually fairly priced, $39 for 5 brushes (3 big face brushes and 2 small eye brushes). I paid IDR530,000 for the whole set from Beautyhaulindo during the Female Daily JakartaXBeauty 2017 event.

I am intrigued to actually try this brush set, because based on some reviews I saw on the Mighty Internet, some people say that it's not really good and pretty gimmicky. This brush set have mixed reviews, actually. Some say it's awesome, some say it's bad.

My first impression when I touched these brushes is, they're so well-made! The brush hair is super soft, I dare to say they're the softest among all of my other makeup brushes which come from brands like Sigma, Real Techniques, Zoeva, and Eco Tools. The gold metal handles are also sturdy and feel so luxurious. This brush set is vegan, cruelty-free, and made from synthetic hair which can be used for both liquid & powder products.

I was afraid that the bright colours on the brushes' hair will bleed when I wash them, but luckily none of them bleed during and post-washing process. Another plus size from these brushes: they're pretty easy to clean with the exception of the foundation brush. 

Functionality wise, I have mixed reviews for each of the brushes. Some are really good, some are just meh.
Powder Brush
The fluffiest among them all: the powder brush. This bright pink brush has the softest hair I have ever touched. When I use this to apply powder on my face, it feels as though an angel is caressing my face lol. It's seriously THAT soft. Functionality wise, it does its job to apply powder well, however since the brush hair is pretty long, I have lesser control during the application process. A minus point for a girl like me who needs to have control in every aspects in her life #heh

Honestly speaking, I like my Real Techniques powder brush from their Core Collection more to apply powders. 

Rating: 7/10
Contour Brush
This flat brush is designed for contouring, and I'm impressed with this! It feels sturdy and it applies powder contour smoothly without any blotchy result. The size is also just nice to contour my jawline & forehead.

Rating: 8.5/10
Foundation Brush
This foundation brush is the "meh" one. It takes forever to blend my liquid foundation with this, and the result is pretty streaky. I think I will use this mainly as blush brush, it works but with "okay only" performance. Again, my RT blush brush does better job in applying powder blush.

This brush is also the only one that I found a bit difficult to wash, you can see from the picture above that there is still a brown stain from my liquid foundation.

Rating: 4.5/10
Crease Brush
Another hit from this set! This is my favorite brush among the other four. Before this, I have two crease brushes, one from Masami Shouko and another one from Wet n Wild. Both works wonder, but I feel that they feel prickly during blending process on my crease area. It's not the case with this Tarte brush, though. It's super soft and fluffy while still blends the shadows very well. Super in love with this one!

Rating: 9/10
Shader Brush
The last brush is eye shader brush. It functions well but I honestly cannot tell any difference for the application process and result compared to my Wet n Wild or Eco Tools shader brushes (both come at cheaper price). The only plus thing from this compared to my drugstore brush is of course, the unicorn handle hehe.

Rating: 7/10

To summarize, if you're beginners who are looking for your first brush set, I wouldn't recommend this brush set for you. This brush set is more suitable if you're looking for complimentary set to your existing brush collection, or if you're a makeup brush collector.

I think it's very well made and they will definitely spark up your vanity table, but they're not essentials. For basic starter kit, I would recommend Real Techniques Core Collection set more, since they're more affordable and very easy to use.

I hope this post is helpful for you, thanks for visiting, Loves, and talk to you soon 😘

No comments:

Post a Comment