Monday 3 July 2017

I Yearn For Love Just Like in Lana Del Rey's Songs

Video stills from "Shades of Cool" video
I yearn for love just like in Lana Del Rey's songs. It would be melancholic, tragic, and have masochist-tendency, preferably with older, tall, highly-charismatic gentleman who appreciates art and beauty.

I'd like to think that our relationship will be dominated by him, with him being able to tame me and string me along without even realizing it, because he never meant to, he just did. And I'd be happy to do so. Not because anyone or anything forces me, but because I want to.

He will be my drug and I will be his.

It would be full of passion and arrogance from both party, yet we have the utmost respect for each other. There will be countless time when we get high and when we get off.

My ideal of love is heavily relatable to majority of Lana Del Rey's songs. What bugs me is that many said that Lana and her music condone anti-feminism. As quoted from mic.com:
"She plays a character who smells like French perfume and lusts after "dope and diamonds." Her music hints at abusive relationships, at death, at drug abuse, but never comes close to offering a nuanced discussion on those topics. She sits around listlessly, waiting for her man to call (and when he does, she'll quickly answer, as she points out on the track "Old Money" — "But if you send for me / You know I'll come"). She romanticizes everything modern women have fought not to be."
First, I'm kind of a feminist and I fully support gender-equality. However, I don't think those characters described above speak of anti-feminism. For me, it sounds more like fetishism and masochism. 

Let me clarify what my definition of feminism is. I think being a feminist means women are free to do whatever they want to do, given that they are properly educated and have all the information they need in order to make their decisions without any judgmental thinking from society.

If a woman chooses to dedicate her life fully to his man, then let her peacefully be. As long as she is given options and fair opportunities prior that decision and is not forced to make that decision under cultural & social pressure/circumstances, I think there isn't any problem about it. 

I believe Lana, being a white woman living in the States will have all the information she needs regarding feminism and gender-equality. I personally think her musical influences are just happen to be a form of masochism and fetishism? Society just need to be less judgmental about everything, imho.

Anyway, even though I see Lana's music as a form of fetishism and a role-play in a way, I doubt that younger people will see it as so, and I can understand why there's easily a misconception to see it as anti-feminism. In my opinion, Lana's music is perhaps more suitable for mature people who already have strong sense of self-worth and minimum level of insecurity. 

This post is pretty random and personal, but I guess why not, so here it goes haha.

Thanks for reading and talk to you soon!😘

No comments:

Post a Comment