Friday 5 July 2013

Crazy Cat Lady Loves Cat Rice!

Hi hi! So, as I mentioned before, I'm in Jakarta now, enjoying my holiday until an unspecified period of time, or at least until I find a job lol. Hey, don't give me that judgmental look, I just graduated since two weeks ago, and I have the full right to enjoy my holiday care-freely ok! xP *defensive mode: on*

Anyway, one thing I love the most about Jakarta is....the FOOD!

ERMAHGERRD FOOOODDD!!!!
Even though I love living in Singapore, I always miss Jakarta's food. There are some Indo restaurants in Singapore, but most of them only have Ayam Penyet or Nasi Padang, and actually Indo food is so much more than that! One of the food I always miss when I'm in Singapore is...Cat Rice! (Or Nasi Kucing in Indonesian).

I know the name sounds bizarre, but I promise you it's not made from cat meat like the one in China (Read it here at Daily Mail). They're so crazy btw, why they want to eat cat meat omg -__- 

Anyway, Nasi Kucing is a traditional dish from Jogyakarta, Indonesia, but now is easily find nation-wide. It's basically rice with various dishes, most commonly are anchovies, tempe, or fish. The rice and the dish is wrapped together in banana leaf and brown paper, and you can also buy additional grilled dish like tofu, tempe, or chicken intestine and liver satay. (Yeah, those sounds bizarre too, but honestly I like the intestine satay lol xP).

Why it gained the unique name is because of the portion. Nasi Kucing comes is tiny portion, until it looks like portion for cat food, thus the name Nasi Kucing (Cat Rice). Quite unique, right! 

Near my house there is one Nasi Kucing stall, and I love theirs! The place, I must admit, is not the cleanest eating place I've ever been to. However, nowadays you can find more hygienic Nasi Kucing place inside food courts or indoor places.

Nasi Kucing! Meow!
The name of the stall is Prikitiw hahaha. It's like an Indonesian suffix you use when you see something cool xP 

The "table"
Another thing that's worth to be mentioned is, the "table"! Usually, at Nasi Kucing stall you don't sit on chairs, but just sit on your lap on that big bench instead. Then you put the plate on your lap and just eat! It's actually a traditional way to eat in Indonesia, called "lesehan". However, at the more modern place I believe the tables and chairs are provided. I almost never do dine-in, since most of the time I will just do takeaway as it's more convenient to eat at home. This time too, I just do takeaway. 

The rice. See how tiny it is?
You can choose the dish that comes with the rice. Cué means fish, teri means anchovies, ayam means chicken, and tempe (sorry, got cut in the photo xP) well, means tempe hahaha. Those dishes usually are quite spicy.


The additional dish
Those are the additional dishes, and usually consist of veggie-stuffed tofu, tempe, chicken intestine and liver satay, quail eggs, and fried eggs. They are already cooked, but you can ask them to grill it again and add the soya sauce. My favorites are the tofu, tempe, and chicken intestine satay! Yummy to the max!

After being grilled
I know those grilled stuff don't look like food from Martha Stewart, but they sure as hell taste good! Omnomnomnom... (Please pardon my kiddy Pooh plate, I already have that plate for 10+ years btw. My childhood plate!).

The rice portion is so tiny!!! This one is the fish 
Tempe 
Anchovies
Chicken
And that's my dinner for today! I know, I eat like a baby dinosaur lol. But in my defense, the portion of the rice is super tiny! I know....I'm starting to feel guilty now sob sob. Tummy, please don't grow bigger. You know, sometimes I wish those extra calories I eat can go directly to my boobs and not to my tummy. That will be a perfect world hahaha! Oh well, a girl can always dream...

Ooh, and by the way, the price of Nasi Kucing is affordable too. For one rice, it's only IDR2,000, which is around...25cents? In total for those food, I spent IDR18,000 (around SGD2.50). 

So, if you come to Indonesia someday, make sure you try Nasi Kucing :D It's a unique dining experience hehe :) And not to mention, I love the name hahaha! xD #crazycatlady

Okie then, I feel so full now. Feel like a snake who just eat a cow lol xP See you until the next post!

Love,

Chikka, a very full girl right now xP

p.s. Have you check my review on China Glaze Matte Top Coat? It's here! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment