Monday 29 July 2013

Post-Lasik: Life Without Glasses x)

Hi hi! So, as I mentioned before in my Lasik Preparation post, I finally did my Lasik on 23rd July 2013. And now, I'm enjoying a glasses-free life yay!!! *happy dance*

Thanks for being my eyes in these past two years, glassie! 
Before you keep reading, I want to say that I won't disclose neither my ophthalmologist or the clinic where I did my Lasik. This is my personal experience and I just share it as information for you guys, and this post should not be considered as legal medical advice. If you decide to get Lasik after reading this, do it at your own risk. You can read further about my blog's terms of use here

Phew. Okay. I know my blog is still very new and I don't get that much of readers, but you can't be too careful when it comes to legal issue. Better be careful than sorry :P

Second Disclaimer: I really suggest for you who wants to do Lasik to ask as little detail as possible about the procedure :p I personally didn't ask about the procedure until 5 days before the surgery lol. The only thing(s) I asked (and the only things you need to know in my opinion) is:

1. How long does the surgery take?
Each eye takes about 10 minutes. I did both my eyes, so it took me around 20 minutes.

2. Is it painful?
No. It's not painful at all since they gave me anesthetic.

3. How's the recovery process?
After the surgery I can already see without glasses, even though it's not 100% focus yet. The visions will gradually increase in roughly a week. 

4. Any medication post-surgery?
Yes, I need to put eyedrops to my eyes throughout the day.

5. Will the degree come back after a while?
So far, everyone I know who did Lasik said the degree never come back. And some more, my clinic gave me a lifetime guarantee certificate that certifies the degree will never come back.

6. How much is the fee?
Sorry, it's private and confidential :p

Additional information: My myopia degree for each eye is 2.5, and my astigmatism degree is 0.5 for each eye as well. They're all healed after this Lasik surgery and I can see clearly without glasses.

So yeah, if you want to do Lasik, I think you should stop reading after this haha. The reason is because, if I knew about all the details or watched the surgery video before, I won't have the courage to do it xP Sometimes knowledge doesn't mean power lol. So, stop googling photos and videos of Lasik ok! xP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so here's my experience with this Lasik thingy. 

I met my ophthalmologist to ask whether I'm eligible for Lasik on Wednesday, 17 July. After he said yes, everything went so fast, surprisingly. The next day, I did all the pre-Lasik tests, and then, they already scheduled me to do the surgery on Tuesday, 23 July.

During the appointment with the ophthalmologist, I asked whether my degree will come back after years, and he said no. He said that he also did Lasik to his son 7 years ago, and until now his son's degree never come back. And as I mentioned before, the clinic gave me lifetime guarantee.

I was so shocked when I asked what kind of anesthetic I will get, and my ophthalmologist said only eyedrops :x That means I can see the whole process when my eyes are getting poked and laser-ed omg. Scared me and made me nervous to death!

I was scheduled to get my Lasik surgery on Tuesday, 11 a.m., however my ophthalmologist was late and in the end I did the surgery at 12.30 p.m. -___- The preparation before the surgery is pretty standard, like measuring my heart rate, etc..etc..

Btw, they told me I can't wear any make up, perfume, lotion, or deodorant before the surgery since those can disturb the laser machine. Also, NO NAIL POLISH OMG.

Naked :(
I feel so weird looking at my naked nails, I NEVER go out without my polish :( I feel naked sob sob.

Anyway, after everything's ready, I was finally inside the surgery room. It was so cold brrrrrr. I was laying on the surgery bed/chair, and the nurse put on a blanket on me, but maybe because I was so nervous I just can't feel warm :| 

Then my ophthalmologist put my head between this thing that makes my head can't move at all. Above my head there was a blinking red dot and my ophthalmologist told me to keep looking at it the whole time. He did my right eye first, and put this thick clear round plastic thing on my eye that keeps my eye opened. It doesn't feel comfortable at all. At first, it feels a bit painful because that thing gave pressure to my eye. 

Apparently this procedure is to open up my eye pupils. The nurse keeps saying things like, "Suction on, suction good, suction off." And whenever she said "suction on", I can feel heavier pressure on my eye. Not comfortable at all :| They did this to both of my eyes, and whenever the suction is on, I can't blink my eyes. This procedure lasts roughly about 10 minutes.

Then I was moved to the laser machine. Under this machine, I can see my ophthalmologist used this thin steel stick with tiny hook at the end to poke my eyes. SO DAMN SCARY. 

And then, here's the scariest part: That time when the laser cut my retina. 

Please please please, don't cut my eyes.
I can literally smell burnt hair. I was really, really scared, I keep moving omg. The nurse must hold my legs so they are still, and even my ophthalmologist said if I keep moving, he can't continue doing my eyes TT___TT

Anyway, after the laser, they cleaned up my eyes using this liquid stuff. They used cotton buds and some kind of brush to clean my eyes thoroughly. It was ticklish and made me keep moving again hahaha. Aaaaaaand...that's the end of the surgery. After I woke up from the chair, I realized behind me there was a glass window and all the people (including my mum), were watching me the whole time. So embarassing omg xP

There was no excrutiating pain at all during the surgery, only discomfort feeling, and mostly is because I was so scared to see the ophthalmologist poked my eyes. So basically, it's just the suggestive feeling that made me felt anxious the whole time I was in there. 

Btw, you can see the Final Destination's Lasik scene dramatization lol. I kept thinking this will happen to me the whole time omg. Btw, that clip is quite accurate until the laser machine went crazy.

So yeah. After the surgery, I can immediately see, even though it was still blurry. They said I need to wear sunnies if I go outdoor and keep water away from my eyes for the next week, and I need to put eyedrops to my eyes too. 

I feel so badass hahaha, coz right after the surgery, me and my mum immediately went to shopping mall to have lunch lol. I was wearing sunnies because my eyes were so sensitive to light, and everything made my eyes teary. I would say the sensation is like cutting onions. Tears kept falling from both of my eyes, therefore, blocking my vision. 

I held my mum's hand all the time, and I can see people were staring at me. I bet they think I'm blind hahaha xP 

The next 4-5 hours are pretty bad actually. Even though it was already around 6 p.m., I still can't stand the light outside, so I just closed my eyes the whole time we were inside the car on the way home. Even with eyes closed, the light still made my eyes so teary. They got better once I'm home, around 7.30 p.m. 

Even though my eyes were teary, there wasn't any pain at all, so I didn't take the painkiller the ophthalmologist prescribed me. This actually quite surprised me, because the next day, I went again to the clinic to control my eyes, and I met this girl who also did Lasik with me the day before who said her experience is very different with mine.

She said after the surgery her eyes were so painful, even after she took painkillers. The pain was so bad until she cried. I told her I didn't experience any pain at all, and even went to shopping mall after the surgery, and she was shocked also hahaha. So another thing to highlight, the pain for every people is different. Lucky it was not painful at all for me!

Anyway, I need to put two different eyedrops to my eyes, right. Here's the eyedrops...

Anti-inflammation drops
The eyedrops above is to prevent inflammation. I need to put one drop on each eye 8 times a day. After about 15 minutes using this, there is a bitter sensation in my throat. Eek. Inside those yellow strip, there are 5 tiny tubes of eyedrops. Since this is preservative-free, after being opened each tube can only lasts 3 days. However, I usually finished one tube in a day.

Anti-infection drops
The pink drops is to prevent infection. I need to put one drop on each eye 4 times a day. The pink drops can't be used at the same time with the yellow drops. The nurse said I need to give at least 15 minutes interval between the time I put these two eyedrops. This drops is also preservative-free.

Beside the eyedrops, I also must keep my eyes away from water. Therefore, every time I wash my hair, I must use swimming goggles! I look so ridiculous hahaha xP

Also, before I go to sleep, I must use eye shields to protect my eyes, provided from the clinic.

Protective eye shields and the tape
I need to put those shields and attach them to my face using the white tape. The shields are used to prevent me rubbing my eyes in my sleep. Yep, can't rub the eyes for the next week! This is how I look like with the shields...

I look like bug queen!
It's very uncomfortable using these shields :( First, the tape makes me can't really move my mouth, and the shields also make my visions distorted. I need to wear these for a week sob sob. Another thing is, maybe because my skin is sensitive, the tape leaves red rashes on my skin. It makes my skin peeled and painful sigh.

I also can't use eye make up for the next two weeks to prevent infection.

Another side effect from this Lasik is, there was a blood-red spot on my eyeball, however it will disappear gradually. When I did my Strabismus surgery, the redness was even worse, my whole white part on the eyeballs were blood-red. This time is only a blot and located on top of my right eye's pupil, so it's not very obvious. I actually want to put the photo but it's too gory and scary lol.

This is how my eyes look like 24 hour post-Lasik.

Bye, glasses!
So, to conclude this, I was so happy I decided to do Lasik. Thanks so much to my mum and dad who financed this xD Now my double eyelids are more obvious hohoho! (Even though my dark circles are, sadly, more obvious too now :| ) It was a scary experience, but in my opinion, it's worth it. Ah, what us women do to be beautiful.... xP So happy I no longer need glasses hehehe :)

This is my last photo before I did Lasik when I was still wearing glasses x)

Hipster glasses xP
Okie then, hope this post is useful for you! See you soon :)

p.s. Minions nails!!! See it here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment