Wednesday 26 April 2017

Lime Crime, Shame On You

Lime Crime's M.$.L.F. - Moms I'd Like to Follow Velvetines Bundle
Oh Lime Crime, they did it again. Arguably being the most controversial beauty company, they just couldn't stop making the headlines. After releasing their culturally-insensitive China Doll Eyeshadow Palette back in 2012, they're back with another controversial product.

For their Mother's Day 2017 special edition, Lime Crime released a Velvetines Lip Bundles Set, named "M$LF: Moms I'd Like to Follow." Here's a screenshot for this product on their website:

Click to enlarge image

Click to enlarge image

First and foremost, the packaging. Packed in what seems like a pink cigarette box, Lime Crime dubbed it as an "iconic pop-culture packaging."

Pop Culture is one thing, but the first thing that comes into my mind when I first saw the packaging is, "Is Lime Crime trying to glamorize smoking cigarettes?"

First, I'm not a smoker. I have friends who smoke, though, and I have no problem with that. They're adult and have the capability to decide what's best for them and what's not. However, it is a fact that smoking is bad for your health and has nothing to do with Beauty (actually it has negative effects on our skin, lips, and eyes), and I personally think that something with such negative impact like smoking shouldn't be spread across anywhere. 

Lime Crime is a hip indie cosmetics brand that is huge in social media. I think we can safely say that the majority of their customers are young people, who can easily be influenced with what is deemed as "cool" among their peers and social media. I personally think that a brand as big as Lime Crime should consider this fact before releasing a product with message like this. 

Even more so, based on what Lime Crime had in mind when creating this product for, which are the young moms, makes me question the concept of this product even more. Are they suggesting young moms to smoke? Yeah right, because smoking in a house with (little) kids being around is real healthy *roll eyes*

The Warning Sign
Another ridiculous thing: The warning side on the side of the packaging reads: "May Cause Increased Confidence"

Really, Lime Crime? Really?

I just don't get how such bad message could be passed as a great idea.

Second, the name of the product. In this era when women empowerment actually makes good progress, Lime Crime makes a product with a name that in my opinion, objectifies women. Some people (mostly men, I suppose), would say that being called a MILF is a compliment. I personally think the term objectifies women, and even has derogatory context to it. Pardon me for being too uptight, but knowing someone wants to f*ck me is not really a compliment.

Think of it as being catcalled. Some men would say that they're complimenting the women, but it's actually very irritating and humiliating. 

Here's the full list of their (objectifying) shade names:
  • M$LF - Rose Nude
  • Cougar - Grey Taupe
  • Low Cut - True Terracotta
  • Stacey's Mom - Sugar Plum Mauve

Sigh. I really couldn't understand how could the whole idea of this product could passed the brainstorming room and actually became a retail product. 

Do better, Lime Crime. You have good quality products, and the Velvetines liquid lipstick is one of the best matte liquid lipsticks I have ever tried, but sometimes the concept behind your products are ridiculously questionable.

Thanks for visiting, Loves, sorry for the ranting post, talk to you soon 😘

p.s. All images in this post are courtesy of Lime Crime Website

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE these! I have Cindy, beet it, shroom and scandal. Though I just did my make up lesson by makeup artist , so I don't have much idea about makeup. Till they just perform so well and I love how they dry down comfortably. It looks like they moved them into their normal matte lipstick square-ish tube so maybe they're keeping them on as part of their permanent collection. I hope so to get them in stores too! And You are looking awesome. All of this shades suit you so well girl!

    ReplyDelete